Phantasia is a text-based MMORPG originally designed and written by Edward Estes in the late 1970s to early 1980s. Originally written and played on an interactive high school HP 2000 system in the late 1970s, and then on UNIX systems later, the source code was later released and subsequently evolved into various editions such as a BBS game as well as the most recent version Phantasia 4 which was a Java client with the server written in C which was released in 1999.
Originally created and designed by Edward Estes in 1978-1979, it was which was later included on OpenBSD. It was eventually moved to The Major BBS and finally Windows as a C server with a Java client by Brian Kelly. The current version of the game is Phantasia 4 (phantasia4.net). Various clones have been released since the source code was released and the official game had released a neutral policy regarding clones. There are four versions of Phantasia 4 that are still up today: Rise of Warriors (riseofwarriors.com) which was founded in 2002, Phantasia Ultimate (pultimate.net) which was started in 2002 died and was recently brought back, Phantasia 4 Remake (phantasia4.org), which was started in 2010, and Phantasia: Core (phantasiacore.com), which was started recently in 2011.
A player starts off creating an account and character, where they can pick the type of character (Magic User, Fighter, Elf, Gnome, Dwarf, Halfling, or Experimento), roll for their attributes and sex. Characters only get one life and fight against various monsters and players throughout the realm.
Once upon a time when Middle-Earth was still in its near infancy, Stewards and Kings ruled over their land. Above these rulers was the all mighty Valar Morogoth who was the protector of peace over the realm. He had a son named Morgoth who wanted to be the next valar after his father. One day Morogoth's father died in battle with a magic user named Dark Enigma. Morgoth and a monster he created, named The Protector, tried to find this magic user but with no avail. After this he attained valarship by finding the holy grail. Morgoth ravished the power he got, and soon became consumed with holding this power forever, and he became an evil valar. He made a grail which only he could get to make him valar which was only available when there was no other valar. He decided to attack councils, valars and ex-valars to protect his valarship from ruin and he also created other 103 monsters to take over the realm and do his command. His first creature, The Protector, he renamed The Dark Lord, whose main purpose was to create rings to consume the weak in heart but mighty in strength into the power of The Dark Lord and Morgoth, and do his bidding by summoning armies to kill the vala. You are a bold adventurer and you are on your path to free the realm from Morgoth's rule and restore peace to the Earth.
Positions of power
- Knight – A position appointed by the presiding King. Gives an additional stat boost. (Only available when there is a King/Queen in the Realm)
- Steward (http://www.phantasia4.net/steward.html) – You can attain this position by getting the Staff of Stewardship from a monster that is Treasure Type 9, and returning it to the Realms Origin.. 0, 0. This position is the placeholder of the king if there is none, and must vacate the position when one is crowned or enters the realm.
- King/Queen (http://www.phantasia4.net/king.html) &ndash This position is attainable by Throwing the One Ring of Power into the Cracks of Doom and if you have a pure heart. One without greed you will be bestowed the Golden Crown of King. With this title comes great responsibility.
- Council of the Wise (http://www.phantasia4.net/council.html) – Upon reaching level 3000, your character is given two extra lives and is accepted into the Order of the Council of the Wise. Your sole purpose is to become valar by finding the Holy Grail.
- Valar (http://www.phantasia4.net/valar.html) – If you are lucky enough to find the Holy Grail. If your sin was 0.0, you are the new Valar. You can no longer die from old age while you are Valar, though you are still vulnerable to monsters taking your life.
- ""Another silly game" Edward Estes by on Usenet". Retrieved 2010-11-17.
- ""Phantasia v4!" on Usenet". Retrieved 2011-07-11.
- Spinellis, Diomidis (2006). Code quality: the open source perspective. p. 478.
- 4.4bsd User's Reference Manual. 1994. p. 87.
|last1=in Authors list (help)
- "OpenBSD Reference Manual". Retrieved 2010-11-11.
- "BBS Archives - Game Doors (P-R)". Retrieved 2010-11-11.
- "Brian Kelly's Resume". Retrieved 2010-11-11.
- "Archive of Phantasia 4's Declaration of Neutrality.". Retrieved 2010-11-20.
- "Phantasia man page". Retrieved 2010-11-15.